Monday, November 21, 2011

The Art of the Brick

Josh's favorite

These are all cell phone photos so please excuse the blurriness and low quality. About a week ago we went to see an art exhibit at a nearby gallery. Nathan Sawaya builds his sculptures out of Lego bricks (you can read more about his work here: The Art of the Brick), and with Josh being the Lego enthusiast that he is I thought he would really enjoy the exhibit.

Cracked

"Cracked" -- one of my favorite pieces

the art of the brick

"The Courage Within"

hee hee

So the story behind this photo is that Lyle can get both Josh and Lucy to "go limp" on command. They once played a trick on me when I was in another room. I heard a loud thump and then Lyle started yelling and ran to me carrying Josh, who was completely limp. It was awful--my heart skipped a beat, I felt sick to my stomach, and I thought something horrible had happened to Josh....until they both burst out laughing. It was not as funny as they thought it would be at the time, but it has become a big joke around our house so this particular piece made us laugh and taking a photo like this was irresistible.

lego play 

I was a little nervous about taking the kids to an exhibit that would be so enticing to touch (legos!), but it was fine. There were tons of young kids there that day and they had a play area set up so the kids could play with legos as well. We had a great experience and I'm really glad we had the opportunity to see another side of our beloved legos. Since then we've been checking out a lot of Lego idea books (not to mention watching videos on the Lego website) and it is pretty amazing to me to see what can be done with this classic toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment